I like to use PsExec (v1.98) to execute batch files or install software on other PCs on the network when it comes in handy. With Windows XP it always worked flawlessly. Yesterday it was supposed to be the same with Windows 7. Nothing worked.
I was looking for a quick way to jump onto Python – because I was a bit undecided and not willing to read 500+ page books for maybe giving up in the end.
I just would not have considered it possible, but instead of googling for good tutorials you should have a look into “Google Code University”. I did so and discovered a very well written Python course.
And there is more to find: Google uses Python for its own projects and that is why they created a list of best practices called “Google Python Style Guide“. The way it is written reminds me of Damian Conways “Perl Best Practices“.
If the PATTON SN4638 does something it should not (although it is running a seemingly correct configuration) a debug-session can come in handy. The SN4638 supports debug output only via syslog. The fact that I could not find any useful information with a straight search on Google has made me write this short explanation. Continue reading →
Last week a colleague wanted to clean up and reinstall his laptop and asked me if it was possible to configure the Windows installation in a way that keeps the maintenance effort low because the system was just supposed to provide a browser and a media player. I configured the new Windows installation according to his requirements and offered him to install Ubuntu too, so he could test both operating systems.
After the installation of Ubuntu all hardware components were successfully initialized, but no WiFi networks did show up although the internal WiFi card was reported active. Unfortunately the solution was not that obvious. Continue reading →
Today I wanted to assist a colleague at setting up his Speedport LTE.
The signal strength was “very good”, so I did not expect problems from this direction. My first try with connecting resulted in a “Errorcode 18” message and the LTE symbol in the webinterface stayed red. After some digging in the T-Online forums some threads by other help-seeking people appeared, but nothing really usable.
The key to the mystery: before I try to put any (mobile communications) hardware into operation, I should have a look at the order confirmation to find out when my contract will actually be activated. The “Errorcode 18” is displayed when the contract is not yet activated. Shame on me.
Right now I am busy with configuring pfSense. The next topic on my agenda is VPN. The tutorial on pfsense.org is a bit shallow (especially concerning version 2.0). This video answers the most questions:
Hint: be aware to select the “DynDNS: ..” entry in the “Host Name Resolution” section with Client-Export, because otherwise the config file will contain the current IP address of your WAN port!